The man who crossed the over-surveillance border between South Korea and North Korea between Saturday and Sunday could be a North Korean who returned to the south in 2020 via the same area.
“Authorities believe the man left North Korea and are investigating what happened,” the Seoul Defense Ministry said Monday.
The 30-year-old may have come to the South in November 2020. “He looks like a man who left the North in 2020,” a ministry official told reporters.
Investigators are trying to understand whether the movement, which was discovered over the weekend in the northern part of the border, was carried out by North Korean troops who came to pick up the man, although so far Seoul authorities have denied that it was spying.
Since closing its borders in 2020, North Korea has adopted the most severe anti-corona measures: Pyongyang apologized in September 2020 after its troops killed a South Korean official who crossed the maritime border between the two countries. Two months ago, North Korea declared a national emergency and sealed off the border city following the illegal return of a man who left North Korea with 19 signs.
Rare defects beyond the land boundary
It is rare to cross the so-called militarized zone on the northern border of Seoul, and most of the exits pass through China. In general, deviations from the south to the north are very rare. However, several incidents in recent years have raised concerns about insecurity in South Korea. The suspect, who flew to North Korea in 2020, was not detained until 14 hours after crossing the border.
By our correspondent Gianluca Modolo
On Saturday, the presence of the person near the border went unnoticed for almost three hours, with the CCTV camera recording the person climbing over the fence and setting an alarm.
In June, South Korea announced that it would expedite the acquisition of a train-equipped robot and AI-enabled audio and video system to increase border security.