The narrative going into the UFC 275 main event between light heavyweight champion Glover Teixeira and top challenger Jiri Prochazka was that Prochazka needed to do everything in his power to stay off the ground if he wanted to become champion. Prochazka threw the combo into an episode not only by surviving the ground round after round, but ultimately by pulling his own serve in the last 30 seconds of the fight to win the title in a fight that was absolutely fantastic.
Prochazka had great moments throughout the fight, showing that his trademark funky was amazing for blasting Teixeira. But, for all the opponent’s moments, Teixeira had an answer at every turn, scoring takedowns and knocking Prochazka to the ground.
Prochazka was left with a large wound to his left eye from Teixeira’s great blows from a mountain, but every time Teixeira seemed to have seized control, Prochazka would find a way out of trouble and back on his feet.
Then came the last round. With the fight apparently in the balance, Teixeira put the fight to the ground and seemed to be in complete control until Prochazka was able to kick the cage and reverse the situation. Shockingly, Prochazka saw Teixeira’s neck exposed and locked in a bare rear throttle, pushing with all he had to force the tap at the 4:32 mark of the fifth round.
“Like I said, before the fight, I’m ready to finish the first or fifth round. It doesn’t matter. And it doesn’t matter which technique.”
CBS Sports was with you all the way on Saturday bringing you all the results and highlights from UFC 275 below.
UFC 275 card and results
- Jerry Prochazka def. Glover Teixeira (c) via fifth round submission (naked rear throttle)
- Via split decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46)
- via TKO in the second round (back fist spins)
- Jake Matthews def. Andre Fialo via TKO of the second round (punches)
- via TKO first round (punches)
- Josh Colibaw defeated. Seungwoo Choi via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Hayiser Maheshate def. Steve Garcia by first-round knockout (punch)
- Brendan Allen def. Jacob Malcon by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kyung Ho Kang def. Dana Petgherell by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Silvana Gomez defeated Juarez. Liang Na via TKO in the first round (punches)
- Jocelyn Edwards defeated. Ramona Pascual by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
“Tv junkie. Lifelong beer trailblazer. Evil coffee evangelist. Award-winning social mediaholic.”